[NatureNS] bats and deck table umbrellas

From: "Wild Flora" <herself@wildflora.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:27:18 -0300

I've never tried this one myself, but a book I own suggests an easy way to
create day-time shelter for bats: The "bat wrap" is a piece of piece of
sheet metal that has been painted black or a piece of heavy-duty roofing
paper. This is wrapped around the trunk of a tree that is in full sun and
free of side branches. The "wrap" is stapled or nailed with roofing nails in
such a way that it is tight at the top but flares out approximately 2 inches
at the bottom. Bats will climb up under the "wrap" and can move around the
tree to warmer or cooler areas as their needs change through the day. The
"wrap" should be placed as high on the tree as possible as long as it
remains in full sun; there has to be enough open space under the wrap so
that the bats can fly up into it.

Interestingly enough, a deck table umbrella is a loose approximation of a
tree with a bat wrap on it. No wonder they attract bats!

Apparently birds will also use wraps, and they of course are not as
demanding as bats are.

WF