[NatureNS] bats and deck table umbrellas

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:28:12 -0300

	I have heard several authentic stories of bats taking refuge in the
umbrellas which shade the tables of outside table/chair sets. Unfortunately
bats do seem to be quite attracted to their shape and protection. You'd
think they would be much too hot and stuffy inside them to find them
desireable. It is probably not a good idea to have their droppings on the
table, but what an easy and interesting way for a bacteriologist to collect
samples without having to go to caves which is a big no-no now to see what
they might or might not be carrying. Can you get clear umbrellas for such
tables?  It would make such an interesting observatory. Years ago now we
had little brown bats come in behind crudely built window shutters at the
farmhouse in Bear River. Every morning I was able to watch them
grooming between the pane of glass and myself and the bats, one per
window, before they settled down to nap for a few hours. They would leave
about 3 or 4 pm, when it was still bright, hot and sunny. We did not see
them flying at that time of day, so I don't know where they went. Perhaps it
did get too hot behind the shutters, as it was on the south and west sides of
the house. It truly was a neat experience. JET