[NatureNS] FW: Swallow-Tailed Kite

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:28:58 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Christie <maryspt@nbnet.nb.ca>

At 12:39 AM +0000 7/31/07, James Hirtle wrote:

>>Subject: Swallow-Tailed Kite
>>Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:11:52 -0300
>>
>>Hi James,
>>
>>I saw a Swallow-Tailed Kite gliding over the river at our place in
>>Petite Riviere this afternoon. The forked tail and profile, as well
>>as the flight "style," were unmistakable. My wife saw the same bird
>>perched high on a tree in the "Park Pool" just above the village
>>yesterday. I'm curious if there have been additional sightings. I
>>note from Sibley and other reference books that there have been
>>previous visits of this bird to the area.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Don Sedgwick
>

>This was a report that came into me today.  I went right over this
>evening hoping that I might find the bird.  I did not have any luck
>though.

A Swallow-tailed Kite was recently reported on Grand Manan Island,
NB: at Woodwards Cove on the evening of July 25 (Barbara and Susan
Hirst) and between there and Bancroft Point on July 26 (fide Durlan
Ingersoll). Perhaps it has crossed to Nova Scotia, or more than one
headed towards the Maritimes in the past week.
--

David Christie
Mary's Point, Harvey, Albert Co., New Brunswick, Canada