[NatureNS] Cole Harbor Saltmarsh

From: "Dennis Hippern" <dhippern@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:50:58 -0300

Hello Uli,
  I have Cole Harbour marsh as a part of my atlas square. I already
have confirmed breeding of osprey in my square, but would like
to know the location of any nests in the marsh area. I know by
your postings that you frequent this area and would appreciate
it if you would let me know if you see any evidence of breeding
birds in this area. I have seen Bald eagles in the area as have you
but I am still hoping to find a nest.
  Any help you can give would be appreciated. There are still 3 years
of observing after this one.
All the best
Dennis Hippern
Cole Harbour

>From: Ulli Hoeger <ullihoeger@yahoo.com>
>To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>Subject: [NatureNS] Cole Harbor Saltmarsh
>Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Hi,
>
>I spent some time this afternoon out in the saltmarsh sitting on one of the
>sandbars (I kayaked out there) during falling tide.
>
>Common Terns were still abundant, adults and juveniles, with numbers
>approaching 50.....
>
>Shorebird migration is kicking in gear in this location as well.  Today I
>seen the first SB-Dowitchers, two flocks with approx. 30 individuals each.
>There are likely more in other parts of the marsh. I counted 35 Willets,
>and a flock of approx. 60 peeps consisting mostly  of Sanderlings (adults,
>some still in breeding plumage most already moulting) and few Semi-palmated
>Sandpipers.
>No plovers of any kind!  And only 4 Greater Yellowlegs!
>
>Sure a better viewpoint to explore the shorebirds in this location, since
>many of the mudflats are obscured when scanning the area from the trail.
>Give it another 3 weeks and it should be really interesting to paddle into
>the marsh.
>
>Other observations are the three common gull species (Greater Black-backed,
>Herring, and Ring-billed), at least 4 ospreys (one nest still occupied),
>and a Bald Eagle that snatched a Ring-billed gull from the surface and was
>subsequentially harassed by gulls and terns.
>
>A word of caution, passing the bridges at times other than slack tide is
>potentially very dangerous due to the current and turbulences in the down
>current approaches, at least mid tide crossing (peak current) should be
>avoided and carrying over the trail may be a saver option......
>
>Cheers
>
>Ulli

>Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.

New Windows Live Hotmail is here. Upgrade for free and get a better look.
www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA150