[NatureNS] Uniacke House

From: "joan waldron" <waldrojo@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:12:32 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C7C9F5.B3D63940

I walked the Post Rd on Tuesday and walked backed along the highway looking
for breeding signs. I did not see the bb woodpeckers although I saw lots of
worked bark. I did however hear an alert call which I didn't recognize in
the area of the American Chestnut Tree with the interpretation sign. I had
left my #2 Stokes disk in the car. I realize now that that was the
woodpecker. Back in the parking lot there was at least two people with
binoculars, one from N Carolina who had seen Hans posting and went to UH
especially. The lady from NC said she was late because the B&B would not
serve her breakfast earlier. So much for the customer first eh!  We should
tell visitors that we birders point our cars to you know where for a
breakfast sandwich and coffee first thing. Also if people from away are
looking for the black backs we should inform the Uniacke staff on their
possible location Along the highway back to the Uniacke parking lot,  in the
vicinity of the bridge and the large boggy area on your left pointing
towards Halifax, were masses of a yellow bog orchid. I should know what they
are, Alex Wilson probably told me a million times. I looked them up in the
flora but needed to have had a specimen. Can anyone take a guess for me?
They were beautiful and worth a photo Hans. Yesterday I walked my favourite
trail, the Lakelands end of the BLT off the Hubley exit. I wanted to check
if the swamp sparrows and palm warblers were showing young since I didn't
catch any at Uniacke.  About this time every year the young palm warblers
play on the trail. No luck yesterday. I heard a palm warbler in the
distance. I met one swamp sparrow with his wings on his hips and crest
flying either yelling'I haven't yet found a woman 'or' keep away from my
family'. However when I sat on the new seat close to the entrance to the
trail by the lake there was a family of swamp sparrows. I don't know who has
that square.  Incidentally I told the lady from N Carolina that we were
friendly birders and to just ask around. She has ivorybilled as her back car
plate. I told her to go to Canso and ask for Tom C. She has Blake's book.

Joan

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C7C9F5.B3D63940

xmlns:st1=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" =

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"place"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"Street"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"address"/>
<!--[if !mso]>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
<![endif]-->
<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:
14.0pt'>I walked the <st1:Street w:st=3D"on"><st1:address =
w:st=3D"on">Post Rd</st1:address></st1:Street>
on Tuesday and walked backed along the highway looking for breeding =
signs. I
did not see the bb woodpeckers although I saw lots of worked bark. I did
however hear an alert call which I didn&#8217;t recognize in the area of =
the
American Chestnut Tree with the interpretation sign. I had left my #2 =
Stokes disk
in the car. I realize now that that was the woodpecker. Back in the =
parking lot
there was at least two people with binoculars, one from <st1:place =
w:st=3D"on">N
 Carolina</st1:place> who had seen Hans posting and went to UH =
especially. The
lady from NC said she was late because the B&amp;B would not serve her =
breakfast
earlier. So much for the customer first eh!&nbsp; We should tell =
visitors that
we birders point our cars to you know where for a breakfast sandwich and =
coffee
first thing. Also if people from away are looking for the black backs we =
should
inform the Uniacke staff on their possible location Along the highway =
back to
the Uniacke parking lot, &nbsp;in the vicinity of the bridge and the =
large
boggy area on your left pointing towards Halifax, were masses of a =
yellow bog
orchid. I should know what they are, Alex Wilson probably told me a =
million
times. I looked them up in the flora but needed to have had a specimen. =
Can
anyone take a guess for me? &nbsp;They were beautiful and worth a photo =
Hans.
Yesterday I walked my favourite trail, the Lakelands end of the BLT off =
the
Hubley exit. I wanted to check if the swamp sparrows and palm warblers =
were
showing young since I didn&#8217;t catch any at Uniacke. &nbsp;About =
this time
every year the young palm warblers play on the trail. No luck yesterday. =
heard a palm warbler in the distance. I met one swamp sparrow with his =
wings on
his hips and crest flying either yelling&#8217;I haven&#8217;t yet found =
woman &#8216;or&#8217; keep away from my family&#8217;. However when I =
sat on
the new seat close to the entrance to the trail by the lake there was a =
family
of swamp sparrows. I don&#8217;t know who has that square.&nbsp; =
Incidentally I
told the lady from <st1:place w:st=3D"on">N Carolina</st1:place> that we =
were
friendly birders and to just ask around. She has ivorybilled as her back =
car
plate. I told her to go to Canso and ask for Tom C. She has =

style=3D'font-size:
14.0pt'>Joan<i><span =

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C7C9F5.B3D63940--