[NatureNS] more on the Eastern American Toad

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:10:33 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>

Thanks, John! And, as an aside, both Drs. Sherman Bleakney and Francis Cook
were born and raised in Wolfville.  Cheers from Jim
----------
From: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:53:17 -0300
To: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Cc: cfn@ofnc.ca
Subject: Re: FW: [NatureNS] Toad

Hi Jim;
Yes you are correct. It is the Eastern American Toad, Anaxyrus americanus
americanus, which is native to Nova Scotia and Maritimes. In the 1950's
Bleakney saw a lot of variation in the ventral spotting and thought some
were more like the western subspecies or "Canadian Toad". He soon realized
it was just variation in our Eastern American Toad. Partitioning of the
genus Bufo worldwide resulted in the recognition of three genera of these
anurans in North America. Our Eastern American Toad is now placed in the
genus Anaxyrus. Dr. Francis R. Cook and Dr. James Bogart, two of the best in
Canada, have discussed this in detail and have accepted the change, and Dr.
Cook will keep me informed of any additional changes.
Cheers
John