[NatureNS] Bird Whisperer?

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:26:31 -0300

You can call him the bird whisperer

West Pubnico man finds crow that now won't leave

By BRIAN MEDEL Yarmouth Bureau July 19, 2007

WEST PUBNICO - Mater the crow is no birdbrain.

The Yarmouth County crow is determined to live a life of ease. He recently
adopted a family of d'Entremonts from West Pubnico and now spends his nights
sleeping under a roof instead of under spruce boughs.

The bird answers to the name Mater, as in tomater.

"That's the first thing he ate when we got him," said local fisherman Chris
d'Entremont, who named him.

"I've got a weird way with animals," he said in his backyard, where
domesticated wild ducks waddle.

Mr. d'Entremont and his son, five-year-old Noah, found the full-sized crow a
couple of weeks ago while trudging through the woods.

"We just went for a walk and you could hear (Mater) squawking," said Mr. d'Entremont.

The bird didn't seem to be hurt. He was just hopping around the two hikers
as they tried to pass.

"So we picked him up and brought him here and showed my wife," he said.

Mr. d'Entremont's wife Elizabeth and the couple's older son, Michael, 8, all
took to Mater's affectionate ways.

The family was going out that evening so father and son returned the crow to
the forest where they first met.

"The next afternoon we went back in, me and the boys, and (Mater) was still
around the same spot (where) we let him go. So we brought him home," said
Mr. d'Entremont.

Mater now prefers domestic life to existing in the wild. The crow doesn't
like to go out at night so the family allows him to spend his evenings with
them.

"He sleeps in a cage in the porch for now," said Mr. d'Entremont.

They've given him his own chair, a folding lawn chair that they bring into
the house periodically for him.

The crow is free to leave anytime he wants to but prefers to sit in the
kitchen or out in the backyard.

There's nothing wrong with Mater's wings. He just doesn't care for flying,
said Mr. d'Entremont.

"He chases the ducks around on the lawn for a while but he doesn't bother
flying."

After Mater finishes with the ducks, he'll head inside where it's cooler.

"He just hops in. Basically, he does more hopping than flying," he said. "He
can fly if he wants to."

As the new kid on the block, Mater has learned to get along with other
animals in the home.

"We've got four cats in the house. He eats with them," said Mr. d'Entremont.

Mater is also busy learning how to talk, according to his new landlord.

"He says 'hello' and 'water,' " said Mr. d'Entremont, who suggests Mater is
a fast learner.

( bmedel@herald.ca)