[NatureNS] bees and industrial white clover

Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 22:26:19 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Paul MacDonald wrote:

>With the present biofuel developments going on white
>clover can be expected to become one of the crops of
>the future. It has a lot going for it even if the
>moderator of this group says its not a suitable topic
>for this form! If something is going to change nature
>in NS in the near future - this is it!

Hi Paul & All,            June 24, 2007
    I have tended to blot out current biofuels developments as so much
March Hare antics (e.g. Why is using two petrochemical calories to
produce one Ethanol calorie such a great idea ? Decreasing miles/gallon
by 50% would have much the same effect and would not generate food riots
in Mexico.) and perhaps this is why I don't get the connection between
White Clover and biofuel.

    The one biofuel development that does make sense is enzymatic
generation of Ethanol from long chain carbohydrates such as cellulose. A
Canadian company (Iogen) has developed a lab scale process but has
received no encouragement (funding) to proceed to an industrial scale
prototype in Canada and (based on old news) is likely to build in
Germany or the USA. Ths could also turn out to be a false start if it
consumes more energy than it produces.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville