[NatureNS] great egret at Conrad's Beach

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:15:55 -0300
From: Bob Lindsay <rhlindsay@accesswave.ca>
To: kenmcken@eastlink.ca, Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi, Ken.

Sanderling was one of the first that I discounted, mainly because it's a
much squatter bird - chunkier, shorter legs, shorter bill, lighter and
more uniform in colour, and I'm generally able to ID these, which I've
often seen here.

I thought perhaps the Purple Sandpiper or Solitary Sandpiper were
possibilities, but the legs were darker than the dull green shown in my
field guide for the Solitary, and it didn't have the yellow legs of the
Purple.

I've never seen either of these two in the field that I know of. The
only time I recall a Solitary Sandpiper was one ID'd by my mother, when
I was living at home in Brookfield (Colchester County, near Truro) back
in the early 1960s. It was October, and it had apparently run into our
clothesline during a night migration and fallen dead to the ground,
where we discovered it the next morning.

But I digress.

That's about all I can offer for this sandpiper.

I also heard the "pffft" of the Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow in the
grassy dunes above the beach, this morning, and a few times in the last
two or three weeks.

Thanks.
Bob