[NatureNS] Whie Cedar

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 22:25:52 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Jean Timpa wrote:

>	There are a few areas in southwestern Nova Scotia where there are
>small groupings of cedar, but as far as I know it has never been a tree that
>has "taken hold".  I think most of our shakes and shingles have been made
>from spruce. The cedars did not migrate across our connection from New
>Brunswick. And they do not seem to have spread much when they did
>appear, which would almost indicate that there is something lacking in our
>soils that they usually find elsewhere.

Hi Jean & All,            June 6, 2007
    One thing that is widely lacking in our South Mountain upland soils
(Digby to Canso line), is anything that resembles a respectable soil so
you may have a point. How they got where they now are is a  riddle
unless human intervention is supposed.

    White Cedar was prized for canoe frames, as I recall being light,
easily cut, easily bent, rot resistant and tough. It seems quite
possible that some unusually enterprising Indians, in the course of
pre-colonial history brought some seeds from NB Cedar trees when
visiting relatives  in what became NS and possible that a few of these
might have taken. [By the way I despise the term First Nations Peoples.
My Indian friends refer to themselves as Indians and are with
justification proud to do so.]

    It is a fallacy, I think, to suppose that Aboriginal peoples did not
influence plant distributions and this could be one example. But how it
got here does not really matter and probably is beyond knowing with any
certainty.
Yt, DW, Kentville