[NatureNS] Whie Cedar

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: natureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:17:57 -0300

	There are a few areas in southwestern Nova Scotia where there are
small groupings of cedar, but as far as I know it has never been a tree that
has "taken hold".  I think most of our shakes and shingles have been made
from spruce. The cedars did not migrate across our connection from New
Brunswick. And they do not seem to have spread much when they did
appear, which would almost indicate that there is something lacking in our
soils that they usually find elsewhere. The species in our forests are about
the same as those in Maine and New Brunswick, so it probably is not a
competition thing, as they do very well there, and our climate is not that
much different. I read once that there were some in the Truro area. Does
anyone know more specifically where that might be? JET in Wolfville