[NatureNS] White Cedars

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 21:52:37 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Mary & All,            June 6, 2007
    Cedar in NS, except for plantings, is limited to a few narrow
toe-holds. I have seen no indication that it ever was more abundant or
widely distributed in colonial times. I have never worked round Cedar
but, from trees that I have seen in NB, would expect the grain to be
spiral, i.e. not suitable for split and shave shingle production.

    Straight-grained White Pine was the wood of choice for splitting
shingles by froe in NS. Even after shingle mills sprang up, some used
this laborious technique because it saved a few pennies; a consideration
for many in historic Nova Scarcity.

Yt, DW, Kentville