Re: [NatureNS] re possible multiple Mute Swans in our area?

From: <adslaun@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:56:43 -0400

After reading through this thread again, I did  a quick google search on mute swans..

National Geographic had some info regarding the mute swans.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0621_040621_muteswansinvasivespecies.html

I wasn't aware of any of the controversy.

Angela

> From: Rob Woods <rrtwoods@yahoo.com>
> Date: 2007/06/04 Mon AM 09:02:52 EDT
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] re possible multiple Mute Swans in our area?
>
> Please explain why the Mute Swan is such a dangerous alien species compared to any other alien species. Does it carry some disease that threatend the north american swans, is it food competition, why?
>
>   Swans are a bird that attract the non birding publics attention. One could use breeding swans as a way to educate the public the about wildlife watershed habitat to help protect our area lakes from chemical spills and overdevelopment so that all waterfowl has the opportunity to breed successfully.
>
>   While I agree these swans are more likely imports who is to say that a population of European Swans or other species like Rooks or Jackdaws etc could not get blown via an atlantic storm to Newfoundland in significant numbers attempt to establish a local population. The population could then expand from there. Should they be destroyed as well. Humans may have provided nature a way to keep a species around by assisting it accross the atlantic from Europe where loss of habitat for many species is a bigger concern that it is here. Should one not look for the positives of the successful breeding of Swans in Nova Scotia than the cry for their destruction.
>
>   Rob Woods
>   Georgefield
>

> Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca> wrote:
>   As I understand it, Mute Swans are dangerous alien species (impacting other waterfowl among other problems), and need to be monitored for possible breeding activity.  Please everyone let us know if there is evidence of more than one of these possible escapees around and freely moving around.  There is a feral/wild/established population along the eastern seaboard that has been spreading from New York, but I don't know its current distribution.  Also I think there is another feral population in south-central Canada, but again I don't know its distribution -- just southern Ontario?, e.g. Wye Marsh?
>
> Remember the breeding Mute Swams of the mouth of the Sackville River a few years ago?  That never should have been allowed to happen at all -- we were all asleep at the wheel, as were the federal authorities in that case.
>
> Cheers from Jim in Wolfville
> From: "d.bridgehouse" <d.bridgehouse@ns.sympatico.ca>
> Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:15:41 -0300
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: RE: [NatureNS] Fw: Swan in Sullivan's Pond
>
> The swan was haning out by the sluce gate (inflow) gate from L.Banook  when  I was by  this AM . I believe it is a Mute Swan but I'm no expert
>
> What a beauty ! ! !
>
> Cheers , DerekB.

Angela

adslaun@ns.sympatico.ca