[NatureNS] re possible multiple Mute Swans in our area?

From: c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:11:53 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

 &amp;nbsp;Also I think there is another feral population in south-central Canada, but again I don't know its distribution -- just southern Ontario?, e.g. Wye Marsh?&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;Remember the breeding Mute Swams of the mouth of the Sackville River a few years ago? &amp;nbsp;That never should have been allowed to happen at all -- we were all asleep at the wheel, as were the federal authorities in that case.&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;Cheers from Jim in Wolfville&lt;BR&gt;----------&lt;BR&gt;&lt;B&gt;From: &lt;/B&gt;"d.bridgehouse" &amp;lt;d.bridgehouse@ns.sympatico.ca&amp;gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;B&gt;Reply-To: &lt;/B&gt;naturens@chebucto.ns.ca&lt;BR&gt;&lt;B&gt;Date: &lt;/B&gt;Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:15:41 -0300&lt;BR&gt;&lt;B&gt;To: &lt;/B&gt;naturens@chebucto.ns.ca&lt;BR&gt;&lt;B&gt;Subject: &lt;/B&gt;RE: [NatureNS] Fw: Swan in Sullivan's Pond&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;FONT color=#0000ff&gt;&lt;FONT face=Arial&gt;The swan was haning out b

--Apple-Mail-222-799250412
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hi folks,

On 4-Jun-07, at 11:56 AM, <adslaun@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> After reading through this thread again, I did  a quick google =20
> search on mute swans..
>
> National Geographic had some info regarding the mute swans.
>
> http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/=20
> 2004/06/0621_040621_muteswansinvasivespecies.html
>
> I wasn't aware of any of the controversy.

A very interesting article which says (in part):
Speaking last year, the (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) director, =20
Steve Williams, said: "Wildlife biologists and refuge managers have =20
significant concerns about the impacts of growing populations of non-=20
native mute swans on native birds and their habitats. Mute swans can =20
cause extensive habitat degradation in wetland habitats."

In the Chesapeake Bay some 3,600 birds consume 10.5 million pounds =20
(4.8 million kilograms) of submerged aquatic vegetation (SAV) each =20
year, said Jonathan McKnight. McKnight is the Maryland Department of =20
Natural Resources (DNR) biologist responsible for the state's =20
response to invasive species.

He said water plants targeted by the swans=97including eelgrass, =20
wigeongrass, and sago pondweed=97act as important nursery areas for =20
fish and invertebrates.

"SAV beds are the basis of a complex web of life in Chesapeake Bay," =20
McKnight added. "They are the homes of seahorses and pipefish, of =20
crabs and juvenile fish, of ducks and herons."

These beds have already been affected by declining water quality, and =20=

now mute swans threaten those that remain, McKnight said.

Their aggressive behavior has also led to the displacement of native =20
birds from nesting and feeding areas, he said. "Mute swans are =20
responsible for driving the last remaining colony of black skimmers =20
from Chesapeake Bay."

The Great Lakes may face similar pressures, with Canada-based =20
scientists suggesting mute swan populations are growing by up to 30 =20
percent each year on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. And in Wisconsin =20
conservationists fear efforts to reintroduce the trumpeter swan could =20=

be undermined by the presence of its larger, more aggressive cousin.

Clearly there are significant concerns.

Cheers,

Chris