[NatureNS] Red Admiral butterfly in Wolfville

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:08:10 -0300

	A lovely one landed on the bark mulch of a flower bed I was
weeding here in Wolfville about an hour ago. It seemed to be in prime
condition.
	While some of its close cousins, the Mourning Cloak, Angle Wings,
and Tortoiseshells hibernate here, I have not been under the impression
that the Red Admiral did or could do so successfully and is, instead, a very
long distant migratory butterfly, sometimes having legendary numbers
appear, as happened in 1953 or 4 here in the Northeastern part of the US
and Canada. It was beyond belief, and I would love to see it happen again,
for you younger folk to see it. It really is beyond description. Hopefully this
is the leading edge!
	I just looked in the Kaufman Focus Guide to Butterflies of North
America, and it does not indicate (as it does for its close relaives) that it
over winters here. I believe they are all migrants. Is there any other
literature out there that backs this one way or another?  Jean Timpa in
Wolfville