[NatureNS] Herringcove Cardinal & woodperkers

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:35:34 -0300

Hello, a friend of mine who lives on Cove Road in Herringcove woke up
Sunday morning to the song of the Cardinal. He is from Long Island, NY
so knew the song well. He thought he was dreaming, especialy when he
opened his eyes, looked out the window at the top of the trees and there
sat a Cardinal. He thought it was quite a cool experience.
A 'cool' experience for me was taking a short movie of Hairy
Woodpeckers going in and out of a hole in a tree, feeding their young.
This was in one of the county parks. I will not be telling where because I
don't want them disturbed. As it was , I was able to sit in the van and
watch the goings on but I can visulize some 'hot' photographers wanting
photos of the babies and realy disturbing the parents. Still along with
seeing the bear up in the tree on Sunday, I'm having a wildlife week.
Heather D.