[NatureNS] Mother of all Cocoons

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 13:47:48 -0300

	The cocoon in the photos and the size and weight most certainly make it a Cecropia
moth; it did not seem to spin its winter home as high as they "usually" do, but we are dealing
with life here which is not predictable. It might possibly be a luna which only spins in the
leaves ON the ground, but the silk is much lighter in colour, and it would be on the ground
wrapped up in leaves.  (Usually!) The cocoon of the Tiger moth and relatives is ever so
much smaller and oval in shape and lighter in colour. This will definitely emerge as a
Cecropia Moth if it has not been parasitized, and the weight factor sounds like a good
indicator that it is still healthy. Hold it in your warm hand for a few minutes and see if it
wiggles in reaction to the heat. They will sometimes tell you if if is allive, well, and still
sensitive to its surroundings, much the same response as the "Mexican Jumping Beans" we
used to be able to buy as kids and hold in our hands  ( a larva inside the bean which
responded to our warm hands). Jean Timpa