[NatureNS] Great Egret, Philadelphia Vireo, Brown Thrasher, ? Loon, Brier Island

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, claire_diggins@hotmail.com,
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 14:57:29 -0300

<P>&nbsp;As Brian Bartlett already reported to NatureNS, the weather sent the Bon Portage trip led by Claire Diggins to Brier I. instead this weekend, and although no great rarities were found, a few species are on the irregular page of the NS Check-list, and so should probably&nbsp;be reported to the RBA so that members in the region have a chance to look for them if they wish.&nbsp; </P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; The Philadelphia Vireo gave Claire and I a good view at the edge of the alders at Pond Cove on Saturday (May 19).&nbsp; Nearby, on May 20, around the large pond at the end of Gull Rock Road, we all&nbsp;had good, leisurely looks at a Great Egret, which might hang around for a while.&nbsp; The Brown Thrasher was along the Western Light Road and was heard&nbsp;(only) in song on Saturday;&nbsp; I managed to see it (or another) at the old campground nearby on Monday (21st). </P>
<P>&nbsp; The odd&nbsp;loon that Brian mentioned&nbsp;seen off the Northern Light on Sunday&nbsp; was probably a Red-throated, but steadfastly refused to tilt its bill upward, and had a small area of black around the base of the bill, including the chin, but not extending down the throat.&nbsp; It was one of the smaller loons, with a grayish nape and crown, but mainly white below, and with dark grey and whitish mottling (specklihg?) on mantle.&nbsp; Apparently it was in some stage of transition plumage.&nbsp;&nbsp; Any comments on its identity would be welcome, and anyone in the area is urged to try to get another look at it if it hangs around.</P>
<P>&nbsp; It was a weekend where we had to "dig" to get most birds (no migant fallout),&nbsp;but highlights for me&nbsp;included at least 5 White-crowned Sparrows, 10+ Baltimore Orioles, and 12+&nbsp;Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.&nbsp; Like most of these, two Bobolinks were&nbsp; coming to feeders in "downtown" Westport, especially the Dawn MacKenzie one mentioned by Brian&nbsp;just west of the vestry and Robicheau's enterprises.&nbsp; We also had a Black-throated Blue Warbler there, and flashes of colour like that and the fiery Blackburnians rewarded long searches in various part of the Island. </P>
<P>&nbsp; Claire will be preparing a more complete repport for <EM>Nova Scotia Birds</EM>.</P>
<DIV>Wayne Neily <BR>Tremont, Nova Scotia </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>P. S.&nbsp; Stopped at Middleton on the way home last night (May 21), watching the chimney at M.R.H.S. from 20:47-21:10, but saw only 2 Chimney Swifts, that entered about 20:54.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>