[NatureNS] Fw: Red-bellied Woodpecker, Gray Catbird,

Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 19:33:05 -0300
From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_Jj/c/uokqOTJwcpRGEqy5Q)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 7:31 PM
Subject: Red-bellied Woodpecker, Gray Catbird, Swainson's Thrush and Night Hawk

A Red-bellied Woodpecker was seen during the migration count, May 12, and also today by Fred Greig.  There are three, one pair and a juvenile, in the area of Kirk Rd., McManus Rd., Albion Rd., and possibly as far south as Williams Lake.  This area is directly east of Frog Lake, Sir Sanford Fleming Park, Halifax, but the birds have not been reported in the park, yet.  I am told that this is likely the pair that was reported to have bred here last year and have now successfully overwintered.

When I was doing my migration count circuit, May 12, in Guysborough County I spotted three Night Hawks and two Gray Catbirds east of Trafalgar and heard two Swainson's Thrushes. The boreal forest on the road between Trafalgar and Cameron Settlement is a birder's paradise, just discovered by me but probably known by others.  I will revisit this area later this spring, especially early in the morning.

Hans

When viewing images tap F11 or View Full Screen and use the navigation buttons on my website
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
E-mail: htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca
Migration Count: http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html
Nature Website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_Jj/c/uokqOTJwcpRGEqy5Q)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com">Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Monday, May 14, 2007 7:31 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Red-bellied Woodpecker, Gray Catbird, Swainson's Thrush and
Night Hawk</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>A Red-bellied Woodpecker was seen during the
migration count, May 12,&nbsp;and also today by Fred Greig.&nbsp; There are
three, one pair and a juvenile, in the area of Kirk Rd., McManus Rd., Albion
Rd., and possibly as far south as Williams Lake.&nbsp; This area is directly
east of Frog Lake, Sir Sanford Fleming Park, Halifax, but the birds have not
been reported in the park, yet.&nbsp; I am told that this is likely the
pair&nbsp;that was reported to have bred here last year and have now
successfully overwintered.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>When I was doing my migration count circuit, May
12, in Guysborough County I spotted three Night Hawks and two Gray
Catbirds&nbsp;east of Trafalgar and heard two Swainson's Thrushes.&nbsp;The
boreal forest on the road between Trafalgar and Cameron Settlement is a birder's
paradise, just discovered by me but probably known by others.&nbsp; I will
revisit this area later this spring, especially early in the
morning.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial
viewing images tap F11 or View Full Screen and use the navigation buttons on my
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>E-mail: <A
href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca</A><BR>Migration
Count: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html">http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html</A><BR>Nature
Website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_Jj/c/uokqOTJwcpRGEqy5Q)--