[NatureNS] Chimney swifts

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 06:56:31 -0300

New Glasgow

For Ken McKenna, I counted the chimney swifts at the school in New Glasgow.
Decided to show up a bit early  after 7:30 pm instead of the suggested 8:10
pm.  Good thing I did  as 40 showed up at 7:38 pm. They continued to whirl
around the school.  The "cloud" grew to more than 140.   One went in.  Later
on, the swifts plunged into the chimney in clusters and just a last few lone
stragglers got in at 8:13.   I was so happy because I was able to leave at
8:15 instead of 9ish pm for the 90-minute drive home to Halifax. The
temperature was 7 C

140 +  Chimney Swifts     7:38 to 8:13 pm