[NatureNS] Two ponds

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 21:48:31 -0300

This morning I checked out the DU pond at Margaretville, there were no
swallows of any kind and very few insects for them to feed on if they had
been there. The water is still high and there is not much vegetative cover
for things to hide in.
2 Wood Ducks - 4 Hooded Mergansers - 4 Black Ducks - 2 Blue winged Teals - 2
Ring Necked Ducks - 6 Mallards - 4 Red Winged Blackbirds - 4 Muskrats - 1
Beaver. The immature Bald Eagle also made an appearance and was escorted
away by crows.

VICTORIA VALE POND
The most unusual thing here was a Little Brown Bat flitting over the pond.
(11am on a brilliant sunny day?). It seemed to be finding a few insects and
sometimes dived down to pick them right off the water surface.
A Kingfisher was it usual noisy self.
5 Painted Turtles were basking on a single branch well out of the water. For
those who don't think turtles can climb trees, I photographed them.
The only birds I noted were 3 Mallards.
This is a location where I normally find early warblers, but none were
present this morning. I hope they show up by Saturdays count.

John Belbin - Kingston