[NatureNS] Gadwalls etc. at Three Fathom Hbr. Apr. 28

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:06:17 -0300
From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi, Bob.

Yes, you're quite right, Shorebird Cove is the new name for what people used
to call Smelly (or even Stinky!) Cove.  That is where my cottage is located,
but I was away for over 20 years, when the habit developed among birders of
calling this location by such unappreciative names.  When I returned to
Halifax 2 years ago, I asked birders I knew to find an alternative, and it
is now called Shorebird Cove - at least within my hearing!  Blake says he'll
try to change it in the next edition of his book, but in the meantime the
old name gets perpetuated.

It's a great spot to see shorebirds up close from July on, particularly at
half-tide, and also attracts Gadwall, American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal and
the like.  Hope to see you there some day.

Cheers,
Susann