[NatureNS] daphne

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:20:34 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jean & All,            Apr 29, 2007
    _Daphne mezereum_ is widespread in Eastern North America (Nfld. to
s. Ont., s. to N.S., N.E., N.Y. and O.; Fernald 1950) and it may be no
accident that this distribution coincides with areas of most early
settlements in NA.

    While it may be correct that the Acadians brought Daphne to NS, this
wide distribution of a slow growing perennial that needs ample light
suggests that early settlers in general may have by intent or accident
brought it with them.

    And with all such introductions it was not a case of arriving in the
first ship or not at all. There was continuous traffic of fish and furs
to Europe and trade goods, staples, food and livestock to early
settlements; ample chances for seeds or bugs to hitch a ride, especially
with hay and bedding associated with livestock.

    Because _D. mezereum_ is widely distributed in Europe, including the
UK, was officional and is frequently used in addition as an ornamental,
it is logical to assume that it did not arrive here by chance and in
addition that it was brought many times from many locations. A few seeds
don't take much room. If there are regional differences in genetic
composition at source then it may be possible to objectively decide
between multiple or single introductions.

    In the earlier (1908) edition of Gray's Manual the behavior of _D.
Mezereum_ is described more explicitly; 'Escaped from cultivation, and
locally established,", i.e. it does move around, probably by birds. Any
that I have found have been planted either by birds or by some deranged
Johnny Daphne-seed, the soil being so poor that rabbits would weep just
thinking about it.

    While the large shrub that you refer to might have been planted by
an Acadian I would guess that it was planted much later and probably by
birds. It would be interesting to know how old that shrub is.

Yt, DW, Kentville