[NatureNS] Bees and dandelions in Wolfville

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:24:12 -0300

	I have just returned from errands downtown Wolofville and am
pleased to report that the bed of large crocus plants were being attended to
by a very active and sufficient number of honeybees.  One appeared to be
darker than the regular honeybees but about the same shape and size.
Several small housefly creatures were also busy there, but they well may
not be houseflies but mimics. I had at least two honeybees in my own
crocus clumps when I arrived home, a much smaller variety.
	Also, I stopped to inspect the dandelions on the south side of
Candlewicks, and they are indeed very healthy Common Dandelions,
_Taraxacum officinale_, at least 26 in full bloom and many more yellow
buds just about bursting  to join their pals. The plants are literally up against
an old brick wall basement which probably also leaks heat to the
seeds/plants to give them a head start, as well as lots of southerly
sunshine. It makes for a happy patch of yellow after all this dreary gray
winter!
	At 2:30pm it is now at least 18 C in Greenwood and likely is at least
the same here. It was only supposed to go to +14, so we have extra heat
already!  Time for lots outside work while the temps are perfect!  JET