[NatureNS] cocoons

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:17:12 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Jean Timpa wrote:

>	Dave,
>	PS. If the cocoon was warmish, then the sun must have been on it,
>or the warmth of your hand warmed it up quickly. Insects are cold blooded
>and do not radiate warmth but have to absorb it from the sun or
>surrounding which is why we see very few insects in the winter time, except
>some specialized ones like snow fleas

Hi Jean, Derek & All,    Apr 21, 2007
    Thanks for the several comments. I just made a slit in the outer
parchment, should have patched it with a band-aid, and left it hanging
in the Black (?) Cherry. I will not have time in the coming weeks to
even neglect it properly but, assuming it does feed on Black Cherry, may
tape it to the Black Cherry at home.

    All living tissue produces heat as a byproduct of metabolism, and
sometimes as the intentional product of metabolism, but I suspect you
are correct Jean that the warmth felt by Ken would have been due to heat
captured by a greenhouse effect and stored in the pupa.

Yt, DW, Kentville