[NatureNS] Re: Junco invasion

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:36:15 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

At 08:59 AM 10/04/2007, Rob wrote:
>One thing I did not know is that Junco's like Niger seed as they
>were going through it as fast or faster than the other mixed
>feeders. Some were even trying to eat at the upside down suet feeder.

A few juncos regularly eat at my hanging feeders, and a couple also
have taken a liking to suet, as well as shelled peanuts.  In the past
a couple have also eaten niger, though that seed is not on offer in
my yard at the moment.   Most of the juncos do seem content with the
white millet, but a minority always seems adventurous and willing to
experiment.   I've never witnessed this curiosity among any of the
other ground-feeding sparrows, such as Song and
White-throated.   Maybe juncos are smarter. . .

Blake Maybank
Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"

author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
http://maybank.tripod.com/BSNS.htm