[NatureNS] birds today - Ant. and Guys. County back roads

Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 22:29:12 -0300
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_38273_24750652.1175909352361

One neat item not mentioned by Bruce...we cleaned out a duck box near a
marsh. In it was an old squirrel nest...not unusual for nest boxes.
Underneath the squirrel nest was a clutch of five eggs...likely Wood Duck
eggs, though I haven't tried to ID them yet. Did the female (wood) duck get
depredated? Did she abandon the clutch? Because of the squirrel? Why didn't
the squirrel eat the eggs?

--
Randy

------=_Part_38273_24750652.1175909352361