[NatureNS] Availability of NS Bird Society Publications

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:37:24 -0400

<P>Thanks to Ian and others who have replied.&nbsp;&nbsp; </P>
<P>&nbsp; The Acadia Library has vol. 3-5 bound, as well as the smaller format ones up to about 1980, but little after that, and apparently they do not currently subscribe.&nbsp; &nbsp; I have the early volumes myself, so can see that they get 1 &amp; 2; if Ian takes care of getting the Dalhousie set completed, that will make at least two sets complete up to vol. 22 or so.&nbsp; NovaNet indicates that Dalhousie is missing a couple of issues between 1995 and 2000 as well as vol. 1-5, but theirs is by far the best set publically available in N. S.&nbsp;right now.&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; &nbsp;Although I showed vol. 17, no. 3, as missing, and Acadia had not bound its volumes 16 and 17 because it was missing the same issue, I am now persuaded that that issue was never published, as the thrice-yearly schedule changed in 1976 from the previous April-July-November to January- May-July.&nbsp; There is a rather confusing note at the beginning of the Jan. 1976 issue that is apparently intended to explain that one issue was skipped in 1975.&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;I am glad and a little surprised that the Archives will be keeping the Society's complete set.&nbsp; Usually archives are only concerned with preserving unpublished material, and it was there that I was told that there was no official repository library&nbsp;in the Province for N. S. publications.&nbsp; I do think we should encourage them to establish a manuscript group for naturalists' unpublished records from the past, but that is another topic!<BR></P>
<P>Cheers,<BR></P>
<DIV>Wayne Neily <BR>Tremont, Nova Scotia <BR><BR><BR>"Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she better understands her own affairs than we." - Michel de Montaigne, 1580. <BR><BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #a0c6e5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,sans-serif">
<HR color=#a0c6e5 SIZE=1>
let your information find you ! be smart - let your information  </html>