[NatureNS] GPS Elevation

From: "Terri Crane" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 19:43:29 -0400

 Hi Gang

A word of caution to anyone using a GPS to get a measurement of elevation.
It's more of a crap shot guess than anything of any accuracy to be useful! I
have owned one for years and used a few other brands and in my opinion they
ALL fail at the task of determining accurate elevation. While on board my
boat I've seen my position interpreted as being as high as 110' above sea
level. Did anyone see that tidal wave go by? And I was on its crest for the
whole day!
A relatively quick test on my back step showed me that my house had an
elevation of between 25m and 37m this was the min and max that I noted over
~ 1h. The given elevation was never a constant for more than a min. at a
time during my 6-7, 2 min. observations. This equates into a 12m or 39' +/-
fluctuation of elevation of my feeder on my deck.
AHHH, I Don't Think So!
This is due to the errors that contaminate the signals and limitations of
the interpretive programs within the receivers. Of course all this error is
intentionally left/put their by "Big Brother, Uncle Sam,.......".

Tom K.
Canso