FW: [NatureNS] Eagles at Look Off /w photos

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 19:34:42 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_jCRHNTqfw/YqADt7eHfplA)

Bald eagles are primarily scavengers rather than active "hunters" for living
prey in the winter, except when foraging for spawning fishes like tomcod in
the gravelly lower tidal reaches of various rivers -- they also hunt living
mergansers in those rivers at certain stages of the tide.  Of course, in
summer bald eagles are excellent fishers and probably get most of their food
that way.  Another method of getting food in winter involves thievery, i.e.
chasing other eagles or other birds for whatever morsels they might be
persuaded to give up under harassment; in summer such harassment is often
toward our provincial bird, the osprey, and in some instances they force
parent ospreys to catch many more fish to feed their youngsters than would
otherwise be the case.  In autumn and early winter eagles scavenge/hunt for
wounded or dead waterfowl that human hunters and their dogs did not
retrieve.  Perhaps everyone on the list knows all of this?

Cheers from Jim