[NatureNS] founding meeting of Hike Nova Scotia (Sat., March

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:15:07 -0400
From: Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------020207070405040909050108

Hi Jamie, all others:
    An excellent reference is the provincial government trails database
http://www.trails.gov.ns.ca/ . Just click on "shared-use trails" and the
part of the province you are interested in. (The "shared-use" trail
category designation is a little misleading, as it includes
pedestrian-only trails in the protected wilderness areas.) Then click on
the various hiker figurines on the master map to link you to a map and a
written description of each trail. Unfortunately, there is no index and
no way to search the site if you know the trail's name, e.g. Kenomee
Canyon Trail.
    Michael Haynes' "Walking Trails of Nova Scotia" (8th edition, 2002,
Goose Lane Publishers) is also very useful. Here the trails are listed
according to each tourist region, e.g. Evangeline Trail, Glooscap Trail.
Earlier editions of Haynes' classic guidebook contain a different
selection of trails.
    Of course, the vast majority of hiking trails in Nova Scotia are
unofficial, undocumented, and often unmaintained. Happy hiking!
Dusan Soudek

Jamie Simpson wrote:

> Dusan
>
> Do you know of any resource that could provide my wife and I
> information on local hiking trails in the Hantsport Minas Basin/north
> Annapolis Valley/SOuth Mountain area?  I'm particularly interested in
> exploring the Gaspereau River/Black River Lake area.
>
> Thanks
>
> JS

--------------020207070405040909050108

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<title></title>
Hi Jamie, all others:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; An excellent reference is the provincial government trails database
http://www.trails.gov.ns.ca/ . Just click on "shared-use trails" and
the part of the province you are interested in. (The "shared-use" trail
category designation is a little misleading, as it includes
pedestrian-only trails in the protected wilderness areas.) Then click
on the various hiker figurines on the master map to link you to a map
and a written description of each trail. Unfortunately, there is no
index and no way to search the site if you know the trail's name, e.g.
Kenomee Canyon Trail.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Michael Haynes' "Walking Trails of Nova Scotia" (8th edition, 2002,
Goose Lane Publishers) is also very useful. Here the trails are listed
according to each tourist region, e.g. Evangeline Trail, Glooscap
Trail. Earlier editions of Haynes' classic guidebook contain a
different selection of trails.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Of course, the vast majority of hiking trails in Nova Scotia are
unofficial, undocumented, and often unmaintained. Happy hiking!<br>
Dusan Soudek<br>
Jamie Simpson wrote:
Do you know of any resource that could provide my wife and I
information on local hiking trails in the Hantsport Minas Basin/north
Annapolis Valley/SOuth Mountain area?&nbsp; I'm particularly interested in
exploring the Gaspereau River/Black River Lake area. <br>
Thanks <br>
JS <br>

--------------020207070405040909050108--