[NatureNS] Determining Elevation

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:29:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Dave and All
--- David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

> Hi Jamie & All,            Feb 10, 2007
 (Silva Huntsman or equivalent) and
> features that can be located on a map (including the
house location)  such as highway
> intersections, or abrupt bends in highways, provided
> the visible object  can be seen from these two
(preferably three) locations. It is
> surprising how precisely compass direction can be
> measured with a  hand-held compass if you don't
hurry.
I use this method often with a GPS in finding some
small area that might be interesting for fishing or
some other activity. The GPS helps in that you don't
need the reference points to be visible. Further most
any old map will do - so long as it has a distance
scale.
I take 2 or prehaps three points, and mark them on my
GPS. When I get to an undefined location, I use the
GPS to give me the distances to each. I then use a
compass to make an arc on the map of each distance.
Where they intersect will be your location. I can then
get a very precise direction to the desired location.
Works well - takes a few minutes to get it right but
thats easier than wandering in the bush.
BB then marks the trail to take us back to the truck.
Have a nice winter
Paul

Be a PS3 game guru.