[NatureNS] The Depths of Winter

Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 05:52:16 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Patricia & All,            Feb 9, 2007
    Both of these explanations miss the mark to some degree (no pun
intended) by placing emphasis on secondary effects while neglecting
primary cause.

    The cooling or warming trend in any context; diurnal, regional or
seasonal, is determined by energy balance. In any context, cooling (a
passive process) continues UNTIL rate of energy gain exceeds rate of
energy loss. Or, if you wish, warming starts WHEN rate of energy gain
exceeds rate of energy loss.

    Radiative cooling takes place year round and round the clock. Energy
comes in via sunlight, clearly not at night and clearly with less
intensity where it hits the earth at greater slope (even the word
climate is derived from slope).

    In the diurnal context, warming continues well after noon because
incoming radiation, although decreasing, is greater than outgoing until
2:00 to 3:00 p.m. Once outgoing exceeds incoming, cooling will have
started. And so on....

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville