[NatureNS] Re: Sandhill Crane Directions

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 02:59:12 +0000

Hi All:

I second Blakes comments.  The bird is easily observable from the roadside
or has been on every visit that I have made.  Directions would depend on how
you are coming in from Sackville.  If coming in through Bridgewater, take
the Bridgewater exit after the Blockhouse turnoff.  Go left off of the ramp
from the 103 and past the Irving Garage.  Go straight to the set of lights
by the Petro Canada and A & W.  Make a right at the lights and go to the
next set of lights.  Do not cross the Bridge, but make a left.  You now will
be heading down along the LaHave River.  Go to the next set of lights and
continue straight through.  You will pass the Theatre and continue down
along the river.  You will go through Oakhill and Dayspring.  Continue
straight and do not turn as you are on the road to Lunenburg.  Drive until
you see a sign for Rhodes Corner.  As you are driving through Rhodes Corner
there is only one farm on the right hand side of the road.  It has a pond
and there is a cemetary just the other side of it.  This is the Sarty farm
and the sandhill crane will either be tending beside the roadside, in the
field between the cemetary and the farm, alongside of the road or by the
manure pile up by the barn.  It should easily be observed from roadside if
still there.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

>From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>
>To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>Subject: [NatureNS] Re: Sandhill Crane Directions
>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:24:49 -0400
>
>At 11:04 AM 12/01/2007, you wrote:
>>Hi all,  I would like to go  to the location of the Sandhill Crane to
>>photograpg it. Could some one send me the directions on getting there from
>>  Sackville , N.S.  Thank you in advance. Melvina
>
>I saw the crane yesterday, at the farm where it has been reported of late
>(several postings to the NS-RBA for details).   In conversation with the
>farmer, he advised me that the crane is quite shy, and easily takes flight
>if approached too closely, so please keep a good distance if you attempt to
>photograph it.   As the weather gets colder, the bird will need good
>fortune, and no harassement, in order to survive.
>
>Cheers,

>Blake Maybank
>Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
>
>author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
>http://maybank.tripod.com/BSNS.htm
>
>144 Bayview Drive
>White's Lake, Nova Scotia,
>B3T 1Z1, Canada
>
>maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
>(902) 852-2077

>Checked by AVG.

Your Space. Your Friends. Your Stories. Share your world with Windows Live
Spaces. http://discoverspaces.live.com/?loc=en-CA