[NatureNS] Special birds

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 03:25:37 +0000

Pat Gladman, Dorothy Poole and I made a run to Pubnico yesterday.  We
arrived at the residence of Ethelda Murphy for the western tanager, which
showed up.  Nature at its finest was what we observed with the western
tanager, two northern cardinals a male and a female and a multitude of other
birds under the feeder.  As we watched a sharp-shinned hawk flew in and
grabbed a morning dove, narrowly missing the tanager.  Ethelda then
accompanied us to Pond Road.  We went in search of the Forster's Tern.  We
were not successful as the water on the ponds had flooded the road and we
were unable to reach the ocean to look for the bird.  We were rewarded with
another grand find though.  Dorothy, Ethelda and I observed a hawk in a tree
beside the pond, which upon close inspection was a Cooper's Hawk.  All of
the distinguishing features of this bird were closely compared to Sibleys,
to ensure that we were not mistaken.  The black head, the longer tail and
the distinguishing break between the head and the body.  In Nova Scotia this
is the first time I have had the opportunity to actually see the black head
of this bird.  All other cooper's I have observed have been in flight.

A thank you goes to Johnny Nickerson and to Clyde Stoddart for the birds
they provided on the way back through at Cape Sable Island.  I refer to the
palm warbler at the end of the Hawk, the seven brown-headed cowbirds at the
feeder just before where the palm warblers are tending, the lesser
yellowlegs at the guzzle, brant and the Harlequin duck off of Hawk Beach.
We could not find the redhead although it had been seen earlier in the day.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Share your opinion and enter to win! Please complete this survey to enter
into a draw for a grand prize of $500 or one of twenty $50 cash prizes.
http://www.youthographyinsiders.com/R.aspx?a=116