[NatureNS] size of corvid flocks

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 15:38:54 -0500
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Paul,

That is a very impressive number of Gray Jays you encountered! I've seen
family groups of a half dozen or so at the most. The literature that
I've read does suggest that very occasionally there are large
movements/migrations of Gray Jays in some parts of their ranges but
there is little specific to this species in Nova Scotia. However as
usual, Robbie Tufts comes through stating in his book: "... it does on
rare occasions gather into flocks that wander aimlessly about the
countryside, showing up in places where it has not been seen in years."
Gray Jays are essentially non-migratory and occupy the same territories
throughout their lifetime so I expect these are foraging groups made up
of young birds for the most part. Has anyone else observed such large
numbers of Gray Jays in the Province either this year or in the past?

All the best,

Lance