[NatureNS] Spruce Grouse

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:02:28 -0400

Wed was the Bedford Bird Count. Our special find for the day was a
female spruce grosse on a lawn, Got a great look at her. Later in the day
we went back to see if she was still there and sure enough she was.. Up
by a cement well was something dark and irregular looking. Turned out to
be the male sg but he was most upset. At first it looked like he was in
courting mode but instead it was us he was upset at. He had his rear end
turned to us and his tail feathers fully up and in fan mode (for want of a
better word) and looking the other way. I think we were supposed to be
scared by his big size. Gradualy he turned around and we got a great
look at his fully fluffed out neck/ear/cheek feathers.. What a delightful
sight.It made my day.The colours on these birds are beautiful. Heather
Drope, Halifax