[NatureNS] ALGAE AND FRIENDS

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:10:36 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Gloria, Paul & All,            Dec 26, 2006
    With that lead I looked in Brodo, Sharnoff & Sharnoff (Lichens of
N.A.) and found sea tar [aka black seaside lichen (_Verucaria maura_)].
Not a positive ID but a likely suspect.

    Their comments include-- 'mainly on siliceous, coastal rocks in the
upper part of the intertidal zone and continuing into the salt-spray
zone'...' It can easily be mistaken (and has been) for the residue of
oil spills...'

Yt, DW, Kentville