[NatureNS] Birding today

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 21:06:17 +0000

Dorothy Poole and I covered from Dublin Shore, to Rose Bay, out to Mahone
Bay, Western Shore and Lunenburg today.  We had hoped to see the brown
thrasher which showed up again at Rose Bay yesterday and two fox sparrows
that were tending at Gold River, but we struck out on both accounts.

We did get three ring-necked ducks.  There were two males and one female in
First South today.  Other mentionables were large numbers of long-tailed
ducks now in at most locations birded.  Groupings of 50-60 birds for those
interested in numbers.  Two American Wigeon were in the pond by the Fort
Point Museum.  At Gold River at the feeder where the fox sparrows were
supposed to be was a female Baltimore Oriole.  At this particular feeder
location this is about the forth or fifth winter for an oriole there.
There was one adult Iceland Gull on the Lunenburg waterfront and we saw a
black-headed and a Bonaparte gulls also in Lunenburg.  Fair numbers of
horned and red-necked grebes were off of Western Shore.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Enter the "Telus Mobility Xbox a Day" contest for your chance to WIN!  Telus
Mobility is giving away an Microsoft Xbox® 360 every day from November 20 to
December 31, 2006! Just download Windows Live (MSN) Messenger to your
IM-capable TELUS mobile phone, and you could be a winner!
http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/