[NatureNS] Birding today

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:41:02 +0000

David Walmark, Myself and a 12 year old birder from North Carolina took a
run along the shore from the LaHave Ferry to Cherry Hill Beach.

We found a nice group of migrants just up from the LaHave Ferry along the
road that loops up around past the new fire department.  There were goodly
numbers of warblers and other species about.

Of note at Crescent Beach was a group of 100 double-crested cormorants.  We
were also surprised to see a white-winged scoter there.

Out on Bell Island were numbers of boreal chickadees flying about.

Other than that everyday birds were about with 8 species of shorebirds.  Not
bad for the tide being high.  The shorebirds were willets, short-billed
dowitchers, least sandpipers, greater yellowlegs, black-bellied plovers,
spotted sandpipers, semi-palmated plovers and semi-palmated sandpipers.

Surprizingly, Cherry Hill was very quiet with few shorebirds about even
though the tide was almost right.

James R. Hirtle
Lunenburg