[NatureNS] Irregular and long delays on NatureNS

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:03:27 -0400
From: "Bruce Stevens" <m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

prospect of improvement now that the sys
------=_Part_66077_30551357.1165615407545

All:

Let's see if this email gets through...

I agree with Steve that perhaps a change of venue is in order. Our group
does not generate a large amount of traffic (maybe 20 messages per day at
the most?), so the biggest burden for changing servers would be upon each of
us to subscribe, unsubscribe, and change where we post. I've been a member
of the NS-RBA listserv for about a year now, and don't recall any sort of
hang up like we seem to get here on a regular basis. That group is hosted by
yahoo.com, and as far as I know the service is free to start a new group.
IF natureNS were to switch to a yahoo server, subscribers would have to do
something like this:

2) Open an account with yahoo.com
3) Search yahoo groups for the natureNS group and join that group
4) send reports to the new email address (for example,
naturens@yahoogroups.com)

It's a small price to pay for a more reliable server (my apologies if
someone out there has a sentimental attachment to the chebucto server, but
the service recently has been subpar. Is it just me or has this condition
been worsening?) This switch would also have the advantage of archiving the
messages posted.

Also, one of our subscribers already has experience starting and
administering the NS-RBA list... Surely the transition could be made to
pattern the NatureNS list after the NS-RBA.

Bruce Stevens

On 12/7/06, Steve Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca> wrote:

> Re. Don's comment below, I recall some explanation for the haphazard
> delays on NatureNS from our list administrator a while back, but
> deleted it.   The redwing post from Dorothy Poole on Dec 1 arrived here
> on Dec 6 -- taking 5 days -- while some posts seem to come through
> quite quickly, same day.   The whole back-and-forth nature of
> communication is now chaotic.   Rather than asking for explanations
> (presumably overloaded hardware, or new spam), is there any prospect of
> improvement now that the system has deteriorated this far?  Canada Post
> would be quicker.
> A while ago, Blake Maybank (I think it was) commented that NatureNS is
> not archived and therefore not searchable, and suggested to consider
> that the list be switched to some other carrier that does have these
> facilities.   Is it time to consider this seriously, for the additional
> reason of the current variable and sometimes extreme delays?  I'm not
> technically well informed on this to know how much trouble this would
> be, or who would get stuck with the job, but some people on the list
> seem to be knowledgeable about the technicalities.  Anyone want to bite
> into this one again? Or is the performance likely to get back to where
> it was a few weeks back?
> Steve
> Halifax
>
> On 6-Dec-06, at 9:54 AM, Don MacNeill wrote:
> > Just a note for people to check the dates that messages were sent to
> > NatureNS.  This note from Dorothy relates to a Monday siting but wasn't
> > received until Wednesday.  I sent one at 03:30 PM re our sighting on
> > Tuesday
> > which hasn't appeared yet although it was sent to NS-RBA at the same
> > time
> > and appeared there immediately.  On the other hand, one from Jim
> > Wolford
> > later yesterday showed up right away.
> >
> > I recommend that any of you that are interested in timely information
> > on
> > bird sightings join the NS-RBA.
> >
> > Now we'll see when this message eventually arrives at NatureNS.
> >
> > Don
> >
> > Don MacNeill

------=_Part_66077_30551357.1165615407545

yahoo.com, and as far as I know the service is free to start a new group. IF&nbsp;natureNS were to switch to a yahoo server, subscribers would have to do something like this:</div>