[NatureNS] Irregular and long delays on NatureNS

From: c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 17:58:59 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-53-476861826
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hi Steve,

With one exception, all my recent posts have appeared very promptly.
If they don't it could be that either; a) they have somehow gotten
sidetracked by the CCN it terms of spam mail processing, or b) for
any one of a number of reasons majordomo has bounced them to the list
administrator to be approved.

In general, I don't think that the CCN is that much better or worse
than other ISP's when it comes to spam-related delays. I've noticed
sporadic processing delays with mail that is going through other
systems as well.

As for archiving the naturens posts, I'm no longer involved with CCN
administration, but in my day, an archived list was there for the
asking. I've mentioned this on naturens at least a couple of
occasions but no one has taken up the call. ;-> If people feel this
is a good idea give Doug Lindsey, our list administrator, a shout and
see if he can pursue this with the CCN.

For my part, I enjoy utilizing and supporting a local ISP (the CCN)
and I'm not much enamored of all the advertising that is injected
into posts on Yahoo lists.

Cheers,

Chris

On 7-Dec-06, at 2:42 PM, Steve Shaw wrote:

> Re. Don's comment below, I recall some explanation for the
> haphazard delays on NatureNS from our list administrator a while
> back, but deleted it.   The redwing post from Dorothy Poole on Dec
> 1 arrived here on Dec 6 -- taking 5 days -- while some posts seem
> to come through quite quickly, same day.   The whole back-and-forth
> nature of communication is now chaotic.   Rather than asking for
> explanations (presumably overloaded hardware, or new spam), is
> there any prospect of improvement now that the system has
> deteriorated this far?  Canada Post would be quicker.
> A while ago, Blake Maybank (I think it was) commented that NatureNS
> is not archived and therefore not searchable, and suggested to
> consider that the list be switched to some other carrier that does
> have these facilities.   Is it time to consider this seriously, for
> the additional reason of the current variable and sometimes extreme
> delays?  I'm not technically well informed on this to know how much
> trouble this would be, or who would get stuck with the job, but
> some people on the list seem to be knowledgeable about the
> technicalities.  Anyone want to bite into this one again? Or is the
> performance likely to get back to where it was a few weeks back?
> Steve
> Halifax
>
> On 6-Dec-06, at 9:54 AM, Don MacNeill wrote:
>> Just a note for people to check the dates that messages were sent to
>> NatureNS.  This note from Dorothy relates to a Monday siting but
>> wasn't
>> received until Wednesday.  I sent one at 03:30 PM re our sighting
>> on Tuesday
>> which hasn't appeared yet although it was sent to NS-RBA at the
>> same time
>> and appeared there immediately.  On the other hand, one from Jim
>> Wolford
>> later yesterday showed up right away.
>>
>> I recommend that any of you that are interested in timely
>> information on
>> bird sightings join the NS-RBA.
>>
>> Now we'll see when this message eventually arrives at NatureNS.
>>
>> Don
>>
>> Don MacNeill

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._
Christopher Majka                       <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
Electronic Resources on Coleoptera, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://chebucto.ca/Environment/NHR/coleoptera.html

"Whenever I hear of the capture of rare beetles, I feel like
an old warhorse at the sound of a trumpet"  - Charles Darwin
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

--Apple-Mail-53-476861826

<HTML><BODY style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
-khtml-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi Steve,<DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>With one exception, all my =
recent posts have appeared very promptly. If they don't it could be that =
either; a) they have somehow gotten sidetracked by the CCN it terms of =
spam mail processing, or b) for any one of a number of reasons majordomo =
has bounced them to the list administrator to be approved.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>In general, I don't think =
that the CCN is that much better or worse than other ISP's when it comes =
to spam-related delays. I've noticed sporadic processing delays with =
mail that is going through other systems as well.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>As for archiving the =
naturens posts, I'm no longer involved with CCN administration, but in =
my day, an archived list was there for the asking. I've mentioned this =
on naturens at least a couple of occasions but no one has taken up the =
call. ;-&gt; If people feel this is a good idea give Doug Lindsey, our =
list administrator, a shout and see if he can pursue this with the =
CCN.</DIV><DIV><BR class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>For my =
part, I enjoy=A0utilizing and supporting a local ISP (the CCN) and I'm =
not much=A0enamored of all the advertising that is injected into posts =
on Yahoo lists.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Cheers,</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Chris</DIV><DIV><BR><DIV><DIV=
>On 7-Dec-06, at 2:42 PM, Steve Shaw wrote:</DIV><BR =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Re. Don's comment below, I recall some explanation =
for the haphazard delays on NatureNS from our list administrator a while =
back, but deleted it. <SPAN class=3D"Apple-converted-space">=A0 =
</SPAN>The redwing post from Dorothy Poole on Dec 1 arrived here on Dec =
6 -- taking 5 days -- while some posts seem to come through quite =
quickly, same day. <SPAN class=3D"Apple-converted-space">=A0 </SPAN>The =
whole back-and-forth nature of communication is now chaotic. <SPAN =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">=A0 </SPAN>Rather than asking for =