[NatureNS] Re: Irregular and long delays on NatureNS

Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 10:29:40 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

&lt;br&gt;(presumably overloaded hardware, or new spam), is there any prospect of&lt;br&gt;improvement now that the system has deteriorated this far?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;Canada Post&lt;br&gt;would be quicker.&lt
At 02:42 PM 07/12/2006, you wrote:
>A while ago, Blake Maybank (I think it was) commented that NatureNS
>is not archived and therefore not searchable, and suggested to
>consider that the list be switched to some other carrier that does
>have these facilities.   Is it time to consider this seriously, for
>the additional reason of the current variable and sometimes extreme
>delays?  I'm not technically well informed on this to know how much
>trouble this would be, or who would get stuck with the job, but some
>people on the list seem to be knowledgeable about the
>technicalities.  Anyone want to bite into this one again? Or is the
>performance likely to get back to where it was a few weeks back?

Peter Payzant's recent post suggests the problem will not solve
itself quickly.

It would be a simple matter to shift NatureNS to a Listserv, such as
the Yahoo group that I set up for the NS-RBA.   It took me about an
hour to create the group, and the on-going admin responsibilities are
not onerous at all.   There are a variety of options that can be used
to structure the group, including different methods of allowing folks
to join.  With the NS-RBA the moderators personally approve each
applicant, in order to weed out spammers.  But the application
process can also be automated, which keeps out 'bots from joining,
but doesn't stop a human spammer.   So far, with NS-RBA, there has
only been one spamming episode, when one member's e-mail was hijacked
elsewhere, and used to send messages, but that was quickly fixed.

So, as I have said before, I vote for switching NatureNS to a
Listserv, and the sooner the better.

Cheers,

Blake Maybank
Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"