[NatureNS] Sandhill Crane seen 11:00 am Wed. Nov 29

From: "DPoole" <dpoolex@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:07:48 -0400

 I found the road (from James Hirtle's report) up to the tower by taking
exit 14 (Hebbville exit from 103) and driving as far as Coleman's Volkswagen
and took a right there. The road up to the tower was about 2 km from this
turn. I scanned the fields but did not see the bird. I sat in the car with
the window open and immediately heard the bird. I jumped out and in a few
minutes  the Crane appeared flying towards me being chased by an imm Bald
Eagle. They flew right over my head. As the Crane got nearer to Bridgewater
it turned around and started back, fortunately by this time the eagle had
lost interest. The Crane settled back in the field it originally flew out
of. This field is in the 1-2 o'clock position as you approach the tower.
Unfortunately from this view there is a line of trees obstructing the field.
What a wonderful and lucky 15 minutes.

Dorothy Poole