[NatureNS] Sandhill Crane seen 11:00 am Wed. Nov 29

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:42:13 -0400
From: Eric Mills <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Dorothy -
	Glad you saw the crane. A nice bird!
	James Hirtle tells me that you found a dead Scissor-tailed
Flycatcher. If you still have it, the Nova Scotia Museum of Natural
History would like to have the specimen. Just wrap it fairly tightly in
a plastic bag and freeze it.
	I will be coming to Liverpool sometime in the next 2-3 days and
could get it from you for transfer to Halifax.
	All the best,
Eric

>  I found the road (from James Hirtle's report) up to the tower by taking
> exit 14 (Hebbville exit from 103) and driving as far as Coleman's Volkswagen
> and took a right there. The road up to the tower was about 2 km from this
> turn. I scanned the fields but did not see the bird. I sat in the car with
> the window open and immediately heard the bird. I jumped out and in a few
> minutes  the Crane appeared flying towards me being chased by an imm Bald
> Eagle. They flew right over my head. As the Crane got nearer to Bridgewater
> it turned around and started back, fortunately by this time the eagle had
> lost interest. The Crane settled back in the field it originally flew out
> of. This field is in the 1-2 o'clock position as you approach the tower.
> Unfortunately from this view there is a line of trees obstructing the field.
> What a wonderful and lucky 15 minutes.
>
> Dorothy Poole

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Eric L. Mills
286 Kingsburg Road
RR#1, Rose Bay, Nova Scotia B0J 2X0, CANADA
E.Mills@Dal.Ca
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ