[NatureNS] hermit thrushes in Palmeter Woods, w. Kentville,

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:12:13 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Cc: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_auJFqp754Vrok0C8VEbNTA)

Thanks, Nancy.  Hermit thrushes do linger and can still be present into
early winter.  Then in spring they "arrive" quite early (March?), so perhaps
some can indeed overwinter rarely.

Were your "trilling calls" actually series of notes or just intermittent
single notes -- if the latter, probably n. spring peepers, which habitually
call during fall months and even during winter thaws sometimes -- I know
there are records for calling peepers in February (I myself heard one during
a rainy thaw at night), and I think now there are even a few January
records, too?  Usually their autumn peeping comes from dry land and not from
the water.

I don't know of any records of toads calling in autumn.

Cheers from Jim