[NatureNS] 17 Harlequin in Port George

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:45:57 -0400

Well, it looks as if the number of Harlequin Ducks at Port George is
increasing nicely.

There is a fine little group there at the moment. I saw a lone female
feeding near the reef at Cottage Cove and another about halfway down to Port
George, both very close to shore. When I stopped at the lighthouse it was
bonanza! A tight group of 15 birds, 6 females and 9 males were a little way
out. Then they flew up and came in for a rest on a weed covered rock very
near to where I was sitting in the car sheltering from the wind. I tried to
slowly set up my camera without spooking them and had just got everything
organized when one of those brain-dead miniature poodles ran down the beach
barking its fool head off and scared them all back in water and out of
camera range. Why can't you find a hunter when you need one?

The conditions just before lunch were less than ideal, grey and overcast
with a vicious though relatively warm wind from the south that had the car
vibrating up and down, and the scope very hard to handle except out of the
window. The near shore area varied from dead calm at Cottage Cove to white
caps at the first bend in PG. Further out it was quite rough.
The reef was occupied by 21 seals, 10 Greys and 11 Harbours.
There were also 55 Common Eiders, 4 Red Necked Grebes, 18 Surf Scoters,4 Red
Throated Loons, 4 Red necked Grebes plus a few DC Cormorants, White Winged
Scoters and Common Loons. I was surprised to see a Bonaparte Gull enjoying
the breezes, but after a few good looks it flew off and I couldn't find it
again.

Over at MARGARETVILLE things were much more exposed and as you must get out
of the car to see anything the viewing time was very limited. I managed to
spot 3 Long Tailed Ducks and heard several more. There were also 8 Common
Eiders, 2 Red Necked Grebes, a Common Loon and a Red Throated Loon. As I
fled out of the village a flock of at least 50 Robins flew across the road.

Let's hope the wind dies down soon that you can really see what is out
there.