[NatureNS] re dead fish in C.B.? -- Canso Causeway and dead fish and birds

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 21:40:30 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Mike Dadswell <mike.dadswell@acadiau.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_au3T7BW/8uL5h5tqghXyBw)

I didn't see the news clip, but could it have been the "wind-row" of massive
numbers of Atlantic sauries alias needlefish alias skipjacks along the
Northumberland/Gulf side of the Canso Causeway?  In my earlier post on this,
I didn't elaborate that the migrating sauries are trapped there by the
causeway which is a dam, and by the colder water to the north.  Then the
Strait water gets colder and colder at this time of year, and these fishes
finally succumb to the cold water  temperature, and then the dead fish get
piled up along the causeway.

As others have said, various fish-eating birds and scavengers like n.
gannets, eagles, and gulls then get injured or killed by vehicles and by the
combination of high winds and wires along the causeway.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville