[NatureNS] (ozone holes); RF detection

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:00:02 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Steve & All,                Nov 11, 2006
    I agree that that the ear is above all an organ of hearing and,
fortunately, it is not well designed to pick up either the local radio
station or short wave broadcasts. Radio reception requires a tuned
circuit that selectively and efficiently absorbs energy only from a
narrow range of RF frequency while excluding energy from other ranges.

    The more elemental RF detector, the filings coherer (iron filings in
a non-coductive tube), served as receivers for spark transmitters by
using the faint RF signal to increase Direct Current conductivity of the
coherer and the latter in turn controlled current in a battery powered
bell circuit. It is this kind of crude RF detector that just might (and
no we don't have iron filings in our ears) by sheer coincidence be
located in some ear component. And to get from RF to audible this crude
detector might, e.g. switch on when RF exceeded a certain frequency or
amplitude and switch off when levels dropped below threshold. If these
fluctuations were within audible range then one would have an audible
signal.

    I really didn't intend to suggest that an RF mechanism was a
defensible idea; apart from being one that comes to mind by connecting
known dots. Briefly these dots are:
1) Something associated with the northern lights, generates some effect
which we perceive as a rustling sound.
2) This 'sound' is loudest, as I recall, when curtain flickering is most
rapid but, in any case, is associated with concurrent changes in the
curtains.
3) The northern lights even when they appear to be near and low are
relatively high and, for most observers, far away.
4) This effect thus travels at about the speed of light; ending in our
ears as 'sound' it must start and travel as some electromagnetic wave or
some other relatively instantaneous electrical effect.
5) This effect must be in some way converted within our ears by some
kind of transducer; either to motion of the sound sensitive hairs or to
some stage in sound perception that follows hair motion.
6) The transducer would not have to be exceptionally efficient because
the northern lights involve impressive amounts of energy; one million to
10 million amps and about one trillion Watts.

    Whatever the answer may be, it is an interesting question.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville