[NatureNS] Harlequin, Long tails and a coot

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 13:36:26 -0400

I dropped in at Port George this morning to see if anything significant had
arrived after the recent miserable weather. At 9:30 am it was not a great
time to be there as the tide was in full flood and the reef completely
covered. It seemed very quiet and you had to look hard to find anything at
all. It was sunny, very cold and with a biting breeze from the SW, however
the Bay had only a small chop on the waters which helped considerably.

At the first bend in Port George was a tight little flock of Harlequin Ducks
hugging the coastal rocks and so close that they were almost touching each
other even when diving. It was a decidedly unbalanced group with 7 males and
only 3 females. As the males seem to arrive first maybe that means that we
will have a good sized group for the winter.

I also heard some old friends calling and after a search managed to locate 5
Long Tailed Ducks, my first of the season. Also along the same stretch were
36 Common Eiders, 4 Common Loons, 2 red necked Grebes, 6 White winged
Scoters and a DC Cormorant.

I then stopped off at the Margaretville DU location, without much hope,
there has been nothing there recently. However this time an American Coot
and a Black Duck were feeding companionably close to the road. The Coot was
a first year juvenile and its head bobbing motions were quite amusing to
watch.

At Margaretville I was pleased to find 5 more Long Tailed Ducks, they are
really very brilliant when the sun strikes them and those pointed wing tips
when they splash down are quite distinctive. A single Northern Gannet flew
majestically by but I could not see any others. There were 2 White winged
Scoters, 13 Common Eider, 2 Red necked Grebes and 5 Common Loons to round
out the list. Not many birds but a good variety.

John Belbin - Kingston